Thursday, November 3, 2011

Trip to WCIA

Most of the field trips for my discovery class have incorporated science and media together. Our last field trip leaned more toward the media aspect of the class. I did not think a lot about where I was heading as I followed the given directions. I am not as interested in science as I am in the media; as a journalism major in the College of Media, I am very interested in the media. I was amazed that we were allowed to see what goes on at an actual news station.

Due to our large class, our tour guide split the class into two groups. I was part of the group who was in the director’s room to start off. Each person in that room seemed to have a very important job. There were many people in the room, but the most important man was the director. The director told us that he always directs when they film live because he has the most experience. He made every decision as to what would be shown on television in viewers’ living rooms; he chose which camera would be on television, and he gave orders to the people being filmed. I tried to hold in my excitement as he gave all of the orders, because we were told to be very quiet.

My group then switched to the studio. They filmed a segment called “CI Living." First we saw Andy Dallas from Dallas and Co. show some of his new Halloween products. We saw a smoke bubble machine and an assortment of masks. As we watched, I could not help noticing that the interviewer was very good at making lines up as the show went on. Another segment we saw was about interior design. Again, the interviewer was able to keep conversation going whether it was because she had a prompter or she just knew what to say. At ciLiving.tv, you can watch some of their episodes, including the one with Andy Dallas which I was present for.

No comments:

Post a Comment