Thursday, October 27, 2011

WCIA Studios-Behind the Scenes

My journalism class -- Science in the Media -- had the privilege of going on a studio tour of the local CBS affiliate station, Channel WCIA 3, on October 25. Andy Miller, the station news director, and a fellow Illini, first took us to the meeting room, where he explained to us that he and his team of 34 news members strategize two times a day their goals and issues they wish to cover. My favorite part of the trip came next when we got to witness a live airing of CIA's lifestyle segment ciLiving. The class was divided into two groups; one (mine) went into the control room, while the other watched the taping on the sidelines of the set. I never would have imagined that airing a live show could be so hectic, especially for a smaller, local affiliate station! To my surprise though, I got to see all the hustle and bustle that goes on behind the scenes of a newscast. The biggest surprise of the day was that while we sit at home on the couch waiting for commercials to end, that's the busiest time for the producers, editors, directors, and other behind the scenes crew. The groups than switched and I was equally enthralled watching the live airing directly before my eyes. Needless to say, I have a new-found respect for WCIA, as well as all TV stations. I never knew how much work truly goes into creating a TV program! Andy told us that there are three shifts at the station, a day 10-6, a night 2:30-10, and an overnight 12-the early hours of the morning. Of course, those hours always go over, too. As glamorous as the TV industry may seem for the outside, on the inside, you learn just how much goes into it.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree about it being so hectic. I can't even imagine how hectic a live airing must be for a national newscast such as CNN or MSNBC. Talk about crazy, but so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete