Thursday, October 27, 2011

Live from the Studio.


"We're live in 10" said the cameraman to the cheery talk show host. Standing in the well-lit studio, I was suddenly hit by the idea that there are no retakes and that in 10 seconds this show would broadcast. Magical, ain't it?


Last Tuesday, our class took a fieldtrip to the WCIA 3 news station to understand the various aspects of televised news broadcasting. As a broadcast journalism major, I was keen on understanding the different mechanics of a final televised news piece because, after all, the photogenic news anchor wasn't imagining the content of her speech. OH Dear, that would only result in chaos.


My experience at the news room was given a step-by-step approch by Andy Miller, the News Director. He showed our group the WCIA studio and the control room where we tried our best to not interrupt the hectic schedule everyone else was on. Most people would probably find the atmosphere too hurried and rushed, but I felt excited and motivated to work harder and prove myself in the future.

My favorite moment on the field trip to the WCIA channel would be understanding the mechanics of being a tv show producer and a competent intern. TV producers are required to use their creativity while directing the teleprompter, overlooking the different camera angles used, shifting workload all in a crunch period of time. As a potential intern, I hope to learn the different production aspects of newscast and who knows...soon enough, I will be producing my own show.

So in the least, it was quite a hectic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment