Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mubarak Salami Blog Post

During our last field trip to the news station, I learned how demanding and even somewhat intimidating the journalist and TV profession can be. I gained a new understanding of the industry. When we were able to go into the control room and see all the behind the scenes work, I thought that was really cool. I thought the people were under intense pressure. They had to make split decisions live and rapidly without much prior consideration. That takes a lot of skill to do. I don't think that I would be able to do that. I would be too scared that I would mess up. Also, when watching the lady host react to the teleprompter and conduct the interview on live TV on cue, I was very impressed. She was so comfortable in front of the camera. That was cool to see. I guess that is what it takes to be a professional in the business. Though it was a bit daunting, I was able to take a lot away from the experience. That was the first time I was able to see a news production up close. I look forward to other experiences like these. I learned a lot from being in an actual news setting. I realized that there is more to the production than just the people on camera. There are many people pushing buttons and making important decisions off camera that greatly contribute to the success of the news show. In this way, the field trip was a bit eye opening. I was able to see what goes on during a typical workday. Even though it was a bit intimidating to see from an outside view, it is something that I could see myself doing in the future. It would just be in more of a sports' setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment